The architectural profession is rapidly and dramatically changing and new forms of practice are emerging. The international research conference The Changing Shape of Architectural Practices will explore and discuss this development.
The two-day conference consists of two tracks with different strategic focal points. At each track, you can experience international panels of recognized actors in the field. The panels will give keynote lectures and participate in round-table talks.
The conference also offers a number of short lectures and interesting inputs at both tracks by international researchers, PhD students, and architectural activists.
When: 11 – 12 September 2017
Where: Godsbanen, Remisen, Skovgaardsgade 3, 8000 Aarhus C
Bios of conference speakers (PDF).
Track 1: Changing Shape of Practice
Track 1, Changing Shape of Practice, presents and discusses architectural practices which, in different ways and with different focal points, integrate research into their practice, e.g. by establishing their own research departments or setting up transdisciplinary research collaborations with scientific institutions.
- Julia Schlegel; Kristian Edwards & Eli Synnevåg, Snøhætta, Oslo
- Frank Barkow, Barkow Leibinger, Berlin
- Billie Faircloth, Kieran Timberlake, Philadelphia
- Stefan Holst, Transolar, Munich
- Kasper Guldager Jensen, GXN, Copenhagen
- Fredrik Nilsson, Chalmers, Gothenburg
The track is chaired by Professor Michael Hensel, Oslo School of Architecture.
Track 2: Emerging Practices
Track 2, Emerging Practices, investigates forms of unsolicited architectures without conventional clients. The panel will present and discuss projects on very different scales where architects define the design brief and organise the realisation as well as the economy. The panel will also investigate proactive, co-creative, and participatory projects.
- Doina Petrescu & Constantin Petcou, Architecture Autogerée, Paris
- Siv Helene Stangeland, Helen and Hard, Stavanger
- Anton Ryslinge, Architects Without Borders, Denmark
- Christof Maier, Raumlabor, Berlin
- Peter Nageler, NONconform, Vienna
The line is chaired by Professor Walter Unterrainer, Aarhus School of Architecture.
Everybody is welcome to join the conference.
- Architects and other professionals: 900 DKK for 2 days. Sign up
- Teachers and researchers at Aarhus School of Architecture, Chalmers and Oslo School of Architecture: 500 DKK for 2 days. Sign up
- Students: 300 DKK for 2 days. Sign up
- Conference dinner on Monday 11 September: 300 DKK. Sign up
The conference is a collaboration between Research Lab 3: Emerging Architectures at Aarhus School of Architecture and Oslo School of Architecture.
The conference is sponsored by Dreyers Fond.